Temptation not only for him, but for me. For him, the chance to be what he was made for by nature, what fate had denied him. He was born and bred to this: the stewardship of a large estate, the care of the people on it, a place of respect among men of substance, his peers. More importantly, the restoration of clan and family.
Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 13
Jamie Fraser is one of the greatest literary characters. Diana Gabaldon has seamlessly created and developed him to be complete with a high sense of integrity, honor, ingenuity, and leadership that sets him apart from all the other characters. Yet, he also shares the same hopes, fears and even mannerisms that can be subjectively related to each and every one of us. This ability to present the character of Jamie Fraser with depth and human appeal is what allows us to clearly identify and feel as though there is a real personal connection to him. For all of us, it feels like this bond has grown stronger with each book in the series and also from watching the award nominating performances of Sam Heughan, who portrays Jamie Fraser.
In this blog we wanted to send our sincere appreciation for all that Sam Heughan does on and behind the Outlander series. From charitable endeavors to supporting social change, he has put his stardom to great use. In addition, his portrayal of Jamie Frasier continues to capture his audience and take command of the screen. To avid fans there is simply nothing better. We know his relentless work ethic will lead him on a path of continued success and no one deserves it more.
Leading By Example: Supporting Social Change
Sam Heughan is a respected actor and individual. His natural charm, dedication to his craft, and desire to help others through his partnerships with charity organizations – including Bloodwise and Cahonas Scotland – are a great testament to his character. In addition to being a voice for these charities, he has established a greater goal of supporting positive change by founding My Peak Challenge. MPC is a global community that helps to inspire, encourage, and support positive changes to reach individually set goals.
Participation in this program further supports the charity organization of Bloodwise, to help fund blood-cancer research. This program has helped so many, including ourselves. We have hiked and found nature trails because of our inspiration from MPC. Sam Heughan, a natural leader, found a lasting way to motivate others well beyond the Outlander fandom in order to support global societal change. The powerful impact of this program was witnessed during fan testaments at Emerald City Comicon. Heartfelt and emotional testimonies were heard, where individual change has sparked a movement for personal acceptance, camaraderie, and even philanthropy, as many fan groups continue to raise money for important societal causes well beyond the borders of this program. His ability to combine his passion for helping others into a greater purpose has inspired many others to follow his lead. Sass3 was proud to feature two exemplary examples of Outlander groups that have continued this journey of supporting charity organizations. If you would like to read more about their stories and discover ways to continue supporting their charitable efforts, please click here.
Being No One Else But Sam Heughan
He is charismatic, engaging, and full of surprises during each interview we have observed and witnessed. Yet all the while, remaining a gentleman to all that surround him. Sass3 had a wonderful opportunity to see Sam Heughan most recently at the panel held at Emerald City Comicon in March of 2017. We enjoyed hearing his perspectives of his role, insights on working with the astonishing talents of his costars, responding to the insightful questions of like-minded fans, and most of all providing indirect hints – with his talented co-star Caitriona Balfe – of what we may anticipate in season three. We love how he has brought this role to life! We truly appreciate how he can embody this beloved character, while also being true to himself and remaining humble in the process of growth from this incredible fandom. This mentality was felt even during the photo and autograph opportunities. He always greeted each fan with a smile and even a great sense of humor to capture a variety of unique poses requested by his fans. Each Outlander devotee felt welcomed and acknowledged in the brief moments shared in his company, despite instances of constant prompting from Comicon staff yelling N-E-X-T! In our case, heightened nerves will add to the memory of this unforgettable experience.
Full of laughter, joyously unpredictable candor, and living in the moment – Sam Heughan reminds us of the value of simply being yourself. There is no doubt that his level of positivity will continue to set an example across this global community.
Behind the Screen: Our Admiration for Jamie Fraser And What He Stands For In The Outlander Series
Having read the entire book series on multiple occasions, there is a theme that was continuously observed. There seems to always be an interconnection between characters, specifically to each character’s relationship to Jamie Fraser. Each character in the series is linked to him in some manner. Men and women alike are influenced by the power of his intrinsic character traits and moral code. He is respected by all whom he encounters, and we all love how this contributes to the natural draw of attention toward him.
Very few characters in a book or television series have been able to portray a fictional character in such a life-like perspective. From his distinct habits, lovable idiosyncrasies, and genuine heart, Jamie Fraser is forever captured in our mind and soul. A reference for all relationships we hold dear! In the celebration of the connection we find with Jamie Fraser, we wanted to share our favorite character traits that clearly set him apart from all the others and that define him as The King of Men in our eyes.
- He is a natural warrior and a gentleman, even the British Army revere his qualities. He rarely deviates from his principles and stands by his beliefs, no matter the cost or sacrifices he must endure.
He laid the calf-bound Bible on the table, next to the stone. ” I am myself inclined to accept your word as a gentleman, Mr. Fraser,” He said. “But you will understand that I have my duty to consider.”
“Aye, I ken that fine, Major” he said quietly. Without hesitation, he laid a broad hand on the Bible.
– Lord John Grey and Jamie Fraser
Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 10
- He is a guy’s guy. He can be a friend, an ally, a confidant, and a leader. He can identify with individuals of all backgrounds and status, always accepting them as they are – without trying to change them. We repeatedly see that all whom he encounters want to be in his company, if they are not at first intimidated by it! If he, in fact, lived beyond the pages of fiction, we know he would also be admired by our husbands! Or perhaps we hope to transfer a bit of him into our own Jamie’s… ♥ Who wouldn’t?!
- He knows himself and for what he stands. He is honest, faithful, and loyal in each of his relationships. He binds himself to any pledges he makes, duties he must fulfill, or obligations he feels he must complete. He is dependable and devoted to those he holds most dear. Jamie Fraser is and will always be an honorable man.
“You are safe,” he said firmly. ” You have my name and my family, my clan, and if necessary, the protection of my body as well. The man willna lay hands on ye again, while I live.”
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 15
- He believes in the strength of a strong woman. He undoubtedly met his match in Claire and as a result, met his equal. A life long partner, where their love overcomes all space and time. Diana Gabaldon captures this quality beautifully through his quotes and narrative that openly reveal his ability to express himself to those he loves most. These moments are always priceless and most often can never be forgotten.
“Ye gave me a child, mo nighean donn,” he said softly, into the cloud of my hair. “We are together for always. She is safe; and we will live forever now, you and I.”
Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 25
- He understands the political system and how the leading forces of society work. He is respected for not only his presence, but also his ability to use education, experience, and intuition as a means to navigate through difficult social circumstances. He is always finding a balance between societal obligations or norms, and his beliefs to do what is right for his family and those who can not stand alone by themselves.
“But there is war coming, and – for my sins-” he grimaced slightly, “I am a chief.” He shook his head slightly, in resignation. “God has made me what I am. He has given me the duty- and I must do it, whatever the cost.”
Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 93
- Most of all, Jamie Fraser knows how to show undoubted embodiment of masculinity in his roles as a leader and warrior. Yet he also has moments of utmost tenderness, understanding, and devotedness to purely love his wife, children, and members of his family. His ability to emotionally express himself creates treasured moments that are priceless. Most of all, they illustrate the power of the spoken word – that transport you to another time and place – that only the brilliance of Diana Gabaldon’s world can do.
“For so many years, for so long, I have been so many things, so many different men. But here,” he said, so softly I could barely hear him, “here in the dark, with you… I have no name.”
Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 59
A Cause For Celebration
Thank you Sam Heughan for lifting Jamie Fraser from written form to reality while on screen. We believe no one could have done it better! We anxiously await to see what the upcoming season will hold. We also send our sincere gratitude for all you have accomplished outside of the screen. From your charity supports to the creation of MPC, you have made a difference in so many lives – including our own. That is such an incredible gift and one that will always be remembered. Have a dram on us!
All photos from our blogs are owned by Timeless Sass3nach Journeys, unless noted or attributed. The use of our photos is not permitted unless consent is given.